Nespresso Capsule Review for Original Line: Coffee Pods for 2022
Welcome to the ultimate Nespresso capsule guide / review for 2022: focusing on Original Line! Over the years, Nespresso have chopped and changed their capsule ranges extensively. Many new flavours have been added, some have been retired, and whole new line of Vertuo Line capsules have been introduced.
This page focuses on the Original Line capsules, which are extracted using the traditional pressure method:
The Nespresso Original Line Grands Crus coffee pod capsules are are split into several ranges:
- Espresso capsules are the shorter coffees that most people are used to drinking. Just because they are typically ‘short’ coffees does not mean they’re very strong. Some are, but there is a good variation of intensity among these capsules. Most of the coffees that go into this have blended origins.
- Pure Origin capsules have their beans typically sourced from one location. These are very specific in flavour to where the capsules originate from and have a very unique taste. Note many of these are now discontinued, but there are some close approximations that we would recommend.
- Lungo capsules are especially designed for longer drinks where a larger volume of water is added to the coffee. These have the potential to bring out more complex flavours and allow you to enjoy subtler tastes, without detracting from overall intensity as some of these are still quite strong in flavour.
- Decaffeinato capsules do what they (almost) says on the tin – some of the great coffees from other categories but with the naturally occurring caffeine taken away. Ideal for those who have poor reactions to caffeine and simply enjoy the taste of coffee.
- Variation capsules are typically based on the Livanto (Espresso) capsule, but with specific additional flavours to give your coffee that little extra kick of contrasting flavour. The main ones of these are now discontinued, but we have some excellent recommendations for you if you’ve enjoyed these in the past.
|Coffee Capsule Name||Profile||Intensity||Origin|
|Firenze Arpeggio||Dense and Creamy||9||Costa Rica|
|Ispirazione Roma||Roasty, Woody, Cereal notes||8||Brazil|
|Ristretto||Intense with Fruit & Acidity||10||Brazil, South India, East Africa|
|Dharkan (Discontinued)||Intense roasted notes, cocoa||11||Latin America & Asia|
|Ispirazione Palermo Kazaar||Intense, bitter, peppery, syrupy||12||Latin America|
|Capriccio||Cereal notes, light acidity||5||South America|
|Volluto||Sweet and fruity, biscuity||4||Brazil, Colombia|
|Ispirazione Genova Livanto||Caramelised, Toasted cereal notes||6||Central & South America|
|Cosi||Light and lemony||4||East Africa, Central & South America|
|Bukeela ka Ethiopia (Discontinued)||Floral, musk & wood notes||3||Ethiopia|
|Indriya from India (Discontinued)||Full bodied, powerful & spicy||10||India|
|Rosabaya de Colombia (Discontinued)||Blackcurrants, redcurrants & cranberry notes||6||Colombia|
|Dulsao do Brasil (Discontinued)||Honey, maple syrup, malted cereal||4||Brazil|
|Vienna Linizio Lungo||Malted cereal, Balanced, Smooth||4||South America|
|Tokyo Vivalto Lungo||Roasted, Woody, Sweet Cereal, Floral, Complex||6||South America, East Africa|
|Stockholm Fortissio Lungo||Rich aroma, Malt, Toasted cereal||8||Central & South America|
|Cape Town Envivo Lungo||Spicy, Woody, Intense||10||Mexico, India|
|Buenos Aires Lungo||Spicy, Aromatically woody||4||Colombia, Uganda|
|Shanghai Lungo||Fruity, Berry notes, Acidic||5||Kenya, China, Indonesia|
|Arpeggio Decaffeinato||Dense and Creamy||9||Costa Rica, Latin America|
|Ispirazione Ristretto Decaffeinato||Intense with Fruit & Acidity||10||Brazil, South India, East Africa|
|Vivalto Lungo Decaffeinato (Discontinued)||Roasted, Woody, Sweet Cereal, Floral, Complex||6||Colombia, Ethiopia|
|Decaffeinato Intenso (Discontinued)||Grilled, Chocolate notes, Intense body||7||South America|
|Decaffeinato Volluto||Round body, Biscuit, Fruity notes||4||Brazil, Colombia|
|Vanilio (Discontinued)||Balanced, Cereal, Malt, Caramel notes||6||Central & South America|
|Caramelito (Discontinued)||Balanced, Cereal, Malt, Caramel notes||6||Central & South America|
|Ciocattino (Discontinued)||Balanced, Cereal, Malt, Caramel notes||6||Central & South America|
Nespresso Prodigio Coffee Machines
Welcome to our Nespresso Prodigio coffee machine review! This machine was Nespresso’s first foray into the world of the “connected coffee machine”, and has since gone from strength to strength.
Bukeela ka Ethiopia Grand Cru (Discontinued)
Note: The Bukeela ka Ethiopia coffee pod capsules have been discontinued by Nespresso, although they are still sold in some variety packs. We recommend some similar alternatives below.
Made from Arabicas derived from the birthplace of coffee, Ethiopia, this blend is slightly musky, with a hint of wood. The Sidama beans are gently washed and dried in the sun before roasting. These are mixed with a western Ethiopian bean which is unwashed and naturally processed.
Size of Cup: Lungo (110ml)
Aromatic Profile: Floral, notes of musk & wood
Alternatives to the Nespresso Bukeela ka Ethiopia Capsule
The Bukeela Ethiopia coffee capsule is light and fruity. Its composition is two different Ethiopian Arabicas, which are roasted in a two part process. One part is roasted darker and shorter to enhance the coffee’s body, and the other is roasted lighter but longer to bring the perfume and aromatic profile to the coffee. The result is a coffee that’s both fresh and floral.
The Bukeela ka Ethiopia still exists in variety packs, but is becoming phased out. If you would like, you can try some of these Nespresso capsule variety packs and also pick up some other flavours you might just fall in love with!
Recommended: Nespresso Tokyo Vivalto Lungo Capsule
The floral notes of the Bukeela ka Ethiopia are quite characteristic of this coffee pod. The Tokyo Vivalto Lungo also has a similar profile, with a complex, floral aroma. It is somewhat stronger and roasted a bit darker than the Bukeela ka Ethiopia, but the delicate array of flavours makes for a similarly lovely tasting experience. We highly recommend trying it!
Nespresso Original Line Espresso Range
Nespresso Firenze Arpeggio Capsules
Intense and creamy: A dark roast of pure South and Central American Arabicas, Arpeggio has a strong character and intense body, enhanced by cocoa notes.
Size of Cup: 25ml / 40ml
Firenze Arpeggio Capsule Taste and Notes
Aromatic Profile: Cocoa
Origin: A selection of the best South and Central American Arabicas, with fruity or malted profiles, characteristic of Costa Rican coffees.
Roasting: This pod is roasted intensely to bring out the characteristics of each origin. Its full body develops from the fine grinding of the beans.
Aromatic Profile: Intense, dense and creamy with bold roasted notes.